Yesterday, at around 10:00 a.m. I left my South City home to begin and end
my Christmas shopping.  Little did I know that I would have a day of  raptors
as well!
Starting out on I-44 West, my first red-tailed hawk was sitting at the very
top of the electric power poles near Webster Groves.   The second one was
high in a tree at the I-44 and I-270 interchange.  The third was sitting in  the
grass (presumably eating lunch) at the I-270 and I-70  interchange taking I-70
West.  The fourth was sitting in the grass  (also presumably eating lunch) at
the I-70 and I-270 interchange taking  I-270 south (this could have been the
same one as #3).  The fifth was  flying up to and landing on the Delmar
Financial Building roof,  on  I-270 south near  Olive or Ladue.  The sixth was
sitting on the  fence in front of CBC High School on I-64 West.  The seventh was
seen  sitting on the Clarkson-Olive Exit sign on I-64 westbound.  The eighth and
 final red-tailed hawk of my day on seen flying over I-44 East near River Des
 Peres almost to the Jamieson exit.   I was not able to  identify any unusual
colorations or light vs. dark, but all had very vivid red  tails!  Even the
ones on the ground were so close to the highway that you  could see the tail.
All seemed oblivious to traffic, noise, people,  etc.
What a day!  And in case anyone is wondering, yes I was driving and  paying
attention!  They just all happened to be "right there"!   And by the way, all
that driving made for  a successful shopping day!
Jeanne Giebe
St. Louis, Missouri