Mobirders,

Several of you know I made a quick trip to Oregon to see the Falcated
Duck on a pond in Eugene.  You may check on it by looking at the Oregon
listserve on Birdingonthe.net.

This is a quick run-through for anyone interested in going to OR.

I had a great trip--just the right combination of suspense, some
physical effort (clambering along the Newport jetty (the six birds out
there morphed into dunlin when they looked a lot like Rock Sandpipers
from the beach), great general birding and fine companionship with
Sylvia Maulding--she had shown Wes Biggs around the previous day.

The duck stayed into March last year, so it could be expected to be
around a while.  It is a BEAUT!

You can fly into Portland or Eugene.  I chose Portland because Southwest
flies there and I had a free ticket with them.

 From the Portland airport it is about a 2 hr. drive to the north side of
Eugene at exit 199.
The speed limit is 65 (they do go 70ish), police are plentiful and fines
are steep--no, I didn't get stopped.

It gets dark by 4:30 p.m., so if you cannot get there by 4, plan to see
the duck the next morning.

There is a Motel 6 at Exit 195, only 4 miles south of the Coburg exit.
It works well for being in position for this bird--IHOP and other
restaurant options at the intersection.

I highly recommend that you contact Sylvia Maulding,
She lives less than 15 minutes from the duck, knows its habits well, is
a great navigator and will bird with you all day if you'd like.  She
knows the location of other zooties now in Oregon, i.e., Snowy Owl, Red
Phalarope, Mew Gull, Snow Bunting, Long-tailed Duck, Harlequin Duck,
Eurasian Wigeon, etc.

These are directions to the Falcated Duck from the listserve coming
north from Eugene.

 From Eugene, go north 5 miles on I-5 across the McKenzie River to the
Coburg exit (exit 199).  Turn right (east) at the top of the off-ramp
and go past the gas station/convenience store on your right.  Just
before an
open field you will find a long driveway going south, the entrance to
the RV
park.  Drive back on this lane, stop at the office and check in.  The
folks
are friendly and welcome birders. They'll probably direct you straight
back
past the laundry/restroom and some campsites to a parking spot next to
the north-most pond.

I'm off to Arkansas on a scouting trip to Ivory-bill land/swamp.

Good birding!

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO