We stayed in the cars as much as possible with 35 mph winds from the north making our brief forays with scopes and binoculars outside extremely uncomfortable, causing aching eyeballs.

  At Confluence Road, we saw a few small groups of Horned Larks, one of which included at least two Lapland Longspurs.  The birds kept disappearing in the troughs of the newly plowed fields; and not everyone got a satisfactory look. At Riverlands, new for the season for us were two Canvasbacks at Teal Pond and across the road at Pintail Marsh.  Two Bald Eagles perched one above the other and another was seen in flight.  We debated the identity between Pied-billed and Eared of a small winter-plumaged grebe near the rip-rap in Ellis Bay.  There were a couple of Horned Grebes. We enjoyed close looks of a small flock of male and female Buffleheads.  No snow buntings sighted, but the good news was the appearance of filled feeders by the corps headquarters.  Perhaps they will attract both longspurs and buntings when the weather gets worse.  American White Pelicans joined the two locals in Ellis Bay while we were at lunch.

  We saw one Eurasian Collared Dove, first of year for some of the group, at Machens Farm near Portage des Sioux in St Charles County.

  Jackie Chain
  St Charles County