I braved the frigid conditions today to run down to Swan Lake refuge. It was mostly frozen over except for part of far East side of Silver Lake. The heat distortation there was terrible. Counted 62 Bald Eagles, mostly Juveniles, many standing around in groups on the ice. There were only about 50,000 Snow Geese so far. Still quite a sight when wave after wave came in from feeding in the fields and spiraled down to land in the water. There were a few thousand Canadas also and unknow number of Ducks that couldn't be IDd. Saw about 75 Cedar Waxwings, 50 Meadowlarks, and picked one Lapland Longspur out of a flock of Horned Larks. Several Redtails and 5 Northern Harriers. Saw only a couple Great Blue Herons. The biggest surprise was a Great Egret scrunched up next to a pine tree along Swan Lake Drive halfway between Sumner and the main entrance to the refuge. Hope it makes it to warmer climes soon.

   This afternoon I found 8-10 Long-eared Owls in pine groves on private land. Also one Eastern Screech Owl. Saw one Northern Mockingbird there too. There were about 20 Gadwall in the large pond by the pines. Around 4:30 I watched two Northern Harriers and three Short-eared Owls in the open grassland near the pine groves. In the next mile North from there from the road I saw 6 - 7 more SEOWs and at least that many more NOHA. Earlier at this north end I had seen my third Rough-legged Hawk for the day.
  In this area there were continous flocks of Canada Geese flying over from 4;30 until 5:OOpm, when I left. Didn't have time to find out where they all were going. Must still be some open water around nearby.

   Later, Steve Kinder, Chillicothe, Livingston Co. [log in to unmask]