The Long-tailed Duck has apparently left the area. Steve Kinder and I could not locate it at Lake Contrary this morning. We did have a fair raptor day, however, seeing:

  Bald Eagle
  Northern Harrier
  Red-tailed Hawk
  Rough-legged Hawk
  Sharp-shinned Hawk
  American Kestrel

  *We did see one Intermediate, western, juvenile Red-tailed Hawk in addition to several more typical Red-tailed Hawks.

  Also seen (and the "bird of the day") was a female Spotted Towhee at Georgia and Frances's cabin on Bean Lake, Platte County. Quite suprisingly, they had been seeing a male Spotted Towhee in the previous days at the cabin.

  There were about 50 Eurasian Collared-Doves at the Saint Joseph Stockyards.

Larry Lade <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Steve and Dianne Kinder are coming over to Saint Jospeh this morning. He and I will be going to see if the Long-tailed Duck is still around. I am hoping there is still a little open water in the ice covered lake. With temperatures dipping into the single digits last night, I am a little concerned that the lake might be frozen over entirely. We will see. I will post later in the day as to what we find.

Larry Lade
Buchanan County
Saint Joseph, MO

 Yahoo! Personals