Anna's hummingbirds are the most cold hardy hummingbird species that has
been recorded in Missouri.  There is one record of an Anna's that stayed
until FEBRUARY 2, and a second record of an Anna's that stayed until January
3rd (Tim Barksdale's).  Of the five state records, three of them were
present during December (although they may have arrived earlier).

Rufous hummingbirds aren't far behind.  There is one record of a Selasphorus
species bird (which was probably a Rufous, but could have been an Allen's,
although Missouri doesn't have a record for Allen's--yet) still present on
January 30th.  There are seven different records of Rufous or Selasphorus
species occurring in December.

There are a couple of very recent records of Ruby-throated hummingbirds in
Missouri in December, one banded by me and one banded by Lanny Chambers.
You can see a summary of Missouri hummingbird records at:
http://www.missouri.edu/~gordonm/mohummers.htm, although it is a couple of
years out of date.  I intend to update it this fall--once I figure out what
the password for the website is.  Sigh!

The main point is, if you are willing to maintain it, a hummingbird feeder
can draw in a rare hummingbird in December and occasionally in January.
But, you do have to be willing to maintain it, keeping the solution fresh
and the feeder thawed in freezing weather.  (I have a toddler this year and
have decided I don't have the time to keep a feeder up this winter. Other
years I have kept a feeder up until mid-January. Everyone has to decide for
themselves what they have the time to do.)

And, if you do get a hummingbird this time of year (any time after October
15th or so), please contact either myself
(mailto:[log in to unmask]) or Lanny Chambers
(mailto:[log in to unmask]) so the bird can be documented, and if you
will allow it, banded so we can learn more about these late hummingbirds.
We Do know that many of them survive, and frequently return to the eastern
U.S. in subsequent years (although not always to the same locations).

Troy Gordon
Columbia, MO
mailto:[log in to unmask]