I took a spin around Smithville Lake late this afternoon. While there, I met Peter Kondrashov, who reported having heard of (but not having himself seen) a Black Scoter and a male Surf Scoter among the ducks. He also reported a Western Grebe.

I found the Western Grebe easily and may have found the Black Scoter. (At least I saw a bird with a dark cap and pale cheek bobbing among the ducks far out). But viewing was difficult. It was windy. The ducks constantly bobbed up and down, in and out of view.

I am reasonably sure there was no "skunkhead"  male Surf Scoter among the ducks when I looked them over.

The Red-throated Loons were not in evidence. Joe Eades and I tried mightily to make Common Loons into Pacifics, but darkness intervened.

There are lots of ducks of about 12 species on the lake, including all three species of mergansers and more Pintails than I have previously seen there.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri