I have been keeping track of new wetlands being created by beaver in the Little Piney Creek Valley above Lane Springs. I have counted 8 dams and know there are at least twice that many in a one mile stretch of the creek. Large pools with intermittent stands of birch and willow and beautiful grasses as well as many riffles as water moves over and thru the dams. There are 5 large gravel pits on either side of the creek and the new wetland is in the creek valley between the large pits, great habitat and it is only getting better

Visited with George this morning, he runs the gravel plant, and lives on 15 acres in the Little Piney Valley. He also kept an eye out all summer and fall on the Osprey in the area, George calls them Fish Eagles, we had a cup of coffee laced with a tee spoon of fresh Sorghum they pressed and cooked down about three weeks ago, good stuff.

Birds in the valley this morning.

Great Blue Heron. 2 (one standing on top of a broken limb on the very top of a Walnut tree, look like another limb, you talk about blending into your environment!
Wood Duck. 7
Screech Owl. 2
Red Shouldered Hawk. 2
Red Tailed Hawk.1
Coopers Hawk.1 (only Hawk flying, heard others, no thermals until around 10:30, that is when I saw the TV as I was pulling out of the valley)
Turkey Vulture. 1
Downy WP. 6
Red bellied WP. 4
Flicker. 14
Pileated WP. 7
Yellow bellied Sapsucker. 6
White Breasted Nuthatch. 5
Chickadee. 20
Titmouse. 5
Blue Jay. 30
Bluebird. 22
Cardinal. 17
Belted Kingfisher. 7
Red winged Blackbird. 20
Starling. 5
Carolina Wren. 12
Ruby Crowned Kinglet. 5
Yellow Crowned Kinglet. 1
Cedar Waxwing. 50
Hermit Thrush. 6
Robin. Thousands
Yellow Breasted Warbler. 15
Orange Crowned Warbler. 1
Field Sparrow. 16
White Throated Sparrow. 200
White Crowned Sparrow. 2
Fox Sparrow. 20
Swamp Sparrow. 3
Lincoln's Sparrow. 1
Towhee. 7
Junco. 25
Gold Finch. 30
Bob Cat. 2 (I was standing on a trail the the two of them walked not 50 feet in front of me, they were spaced about 100 feet apart, the second one took off running, he saw me before I saw him)

Mike Doyen
Rolla, MO