MoBirders,
For the fourth week in a row we were successful in finding either or both Nelson's Sharp-tailed sparrow and LeConte's Sparrow.

In the early a.m we found at least 12 Leconte's that afforded good looks as they rose from the depths of the grasses into the warming sun.  Look along Riverlands Way in the tall grasses on the Heron Pond side, down near the last gated turnout (soon to be the Heron Pond trailhead)  I had one sharp-tailed there but we could not reduplicate it definitely.  We had 4 Leconte's in one bino view with 2 others a couple of feet away.  We did not include probable 'flyaway' birds in the count.

In the afternoon we stopped at Little Creve Coeur Marsh and walked the (now dry) grasses west of the main body of cattails.  We jumped up at least 12 different flyaways that we thought to be NSTS; we were able to get definitive looks at four birds and all were NSTS.  I suspect the others were also NSTS; the swamp and song were easy to separate out. About halfway through the walk the sparrows changed over to swamp and song; we never saw a LeConte's.  The NSTS stayed in the grasses as long as possible, but finally took refuge in the cattails.

The rest of the day was unremarkable and we are still waiting for the big push of loons and scoters and ducks.  We did have several shorebirds along Rt 143 (IL):  greater and lesser yellowlegs, dowitcher, 12 or so snipe, 2 least sandpipers.  At the impoundment at LCCM we had 5 pectoral sandpipers.

Good Birding
David Rogles
St. Charles Co.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com