Just read Larry Lade's e-mail.
The Swifts are on the move. Last night a couple of Swifts went into my tower, then came back out and don't know where they went. It was dark.
Larry, can you find out what may have changed with that chimney you watch?
There have been 2 huge chimneys torn down this Fall in this end of Mo. Oak Grove, Mo. and Kearney, Mo. And the one in Joplin has been capped. The Swifts are definitely in trouble.
These chimneys held thousands of migrating Swifts each year.
I have had up to 400 using my towers this Fall. I know it's because the huge chimney in Kearney is gone.
Also, one of the towers that was built at the Discovery Center this Spring went to a park in St. Joe. Does anyone know where in St. Joe? I watched 4 towers being built at the Discovery center. MDC is trying to help Chimney Swifts, but with chimneys being capped and roosting places being torn down, they are going to need many more towers. This our chance to help save a much needed species. MDC told me last Spring when we gave 2 Summit meetings on them, we mustn't wait until they are so far down like the Bluebirds were. These are the birds that eat over a  thousand tiny insects each, each day, which include mosquitoes.
They are peaceful, do not bother other other birds are social and wonderful parents. No child goes unfed with them and they do not push any babies out of the nest for any reason like some birds do. So many people do not even know about these birds and the birds suffer because of this.
I have raised and released hundreds of poor, sad babies that have fallen thru dampers, injured Swifts that got stuck in pipes, and have watched their home life in my towers (2 video cams in each tower), for 7 years so I know these birds and they are wonderful and worth working to save.
We need to keep getting the word out.
For more info, go to: www.chimneyswifts.org<http://www.chimneyswifts.org/>  this is the Chimney Swift Nest Research website by Paul and Georgean Kyle, experts on the Swifts

Joyce Rosson
Holt, Mo.