On this picture-perfect October day, we visited a few spots at Busch Conservation Area in St Charles County.  Once again, we were outfoxed by the Barred Owls.  Vivian Liddell could not come (she is our premier Barred Owl caller); and the owls totally ignored my pale imitation.
The calls did excite several Tufted Titmice, chickadee species, Blue Jays and a Red-bellied Woodpecker to alleviate somewhat the shame of total failure.

On the way to the Pine (nee Pinetum) Trail:
Cedar waxwings - a treeful
White-crowned sparrow - 1 singing
Blue Jays - several
Turkey Vultures - several
Red-tailed Hawk - 1
Eastern Bluebird - 1
Double-crested Cormorant - 1

On or near the trail across from the "shorebird area" spillway end Lake 33:
Yellow-rumped Warblers - many
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1
Great Blue Heron - 1 heard vocalizing
Goldfinch - many
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 1 female
White-throated Sparrows - a small flock
Eastern Towhee - 1 or 2 heard
Red-tailed Hawk - 1 soaring
Red-shouldered Hawk - 1 soaring
Turkey Vulture - more
Red-breasted Nuthatch - heard, not seen

On Lake 33:
Great Egrets - 3 or 4
Great Blue Heron - 1
Mallards - a few
Canada Geese - about 20

On Lake 6 or 7:
Pied-billed Grebe - 1

In or near Fallen Oak Nature Trail by headquarters:
Goldfinch - a few on feeders
White-breasted Nuthatch - 3 or 4
Carolina Wren - vocalizing - 1 or 2
Downy Woodpecker - 2 (1 spotted by Dennis Jacobson)
Flicker - 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 1
Cardinal - a few

Field Sparrow) ------ a small feeding flock by the trail as we left
Chipping Sparrows)
House Sparrow)
Goldfinch)
Titmice)
Chickadees)

Elsewhere:
Starlings
Crows - a few in a field

Notable for their absence:
Swallow species
Chimney Swifts
Shorebirds including Kildeer

Thanks to the Thelans and others for warnings about blacktopping "B".  Entry to Hampden Lake parking lot was blocked off.

Thanks to Brian Hartig for the map and reminding us of the trail across from the shorebird area.  It made a beautiful walk and provided a glimpse of a spooked raptor which flew on silent wings.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County