Yesterday, Tuesday, October 11, I was the bird guide for an Elderhostel
group which floated the Meramec River from The Bluffs to Ozark Outdoors,
near Onondaga cave in Leasburg, MO. We had a special treat when an Osprey, a
Bald Eagle and a Great Blue Heron all flew over our heads at once. We also
had marvelous close-up looks at 2 immature Black-crowned Night Herons just
upriver from Ozark Outdoors. Four flocks of Cedar Waxwings high in the
Sycamores were also a treat. We saw 3 additional Ospreys along the way and 2
additional Bald Eagles, one who posed for us low in a dead tree as we
silently floated around a bend; and 4 total Great Blues. The fall color,
just beginning, was beautiful. It was a great day, especially for the
Elderhostelers who came from all over the states to learn canoeing skills on
the streams of the Ozark Plateau.

Lorraine McFarland
Birding Activities Chair
Ozark Rivers Audubon