MOBirders,

I have been neglecting riverlands and so this morning I ventured forth hoping to spy a LAGU or Sabine's among the gull roost.  Alas, the birds dispersed before it was light enough to see anything.
I took a short nap and then did my fourth annual search for "Warblers in the Willows" (the willows along the road leading to the dam).  I was sure the birding gods would punish me for the sin of neglect, but instead I was surprised to find a good flock of migrants.  List follows.
After the willows I decided to go to the confluence point where I had three separate groups of warlbers, including one tree that had 25/35 birds. (I use C for confluence, R for REDA)

Dendroica
Magnolia, 1, C
Black-throated blue, 2, R (see note below_
Chestnut-sided, 24+, C and R
Cape May, 2 (I think, birds were a bit apart), C
Blackburnian, 3, C
Yellow-throated, 1, C

Mniotilta
Black and White, 1, R

Prothonotaria
Prothonotary, 2, C

Setophage

American Redstart, 15/20, C and R

Vermivora

Tennessee, 6/8, C and R
Nashville, 3/4, C and R
Orange-crowned, 1, C

Parula

Northern Parula, 4/5, C and R

Oporornis

Kentucky, 2, R

Geothlypis

Common Yellowthroat, 5, C and R

In addition: confluence-blue-headed vireo, scarlet tanager, philadelphia vireo (2/3), redc-eyed vireo

REDA:  rose-breasted grosbeak (15/20), house wren (4), carolina wren (1)

Note:  I saw, through the scope, a dull bird with a white wing patch.  I only saw the bird from one side, from shoulder to rear, but thought it was a black throated blue female. It would not show itself and so I left the car and sallied forth in spite of only having sandals and shorts.  I waded into the brush and was not able to get a better look on the bird, but did flush the Kentucky warbler, which flew off a ways.  I lumbered after it and was staning, chest deep in wet weeds, when a male black-throated blue flushed from my left side at about 8 feet away and chest high. It flew diagonally across and into the brush about 30 feet away. I saw clearly the blue back, the black throat, the white in the wings and tail and the white underneath.  I think I saw the black on the flanks.  Flight was level and strong, though not fassssttt.  It disappeared and I could not refind it, though I did flush another different kentucky with less black on the face.

I was parked even with the state line post and the birds were just to the river side of the little cleared area in front of the gate.  They dispappeared down the brush/tree line that leads to the slough and eventually Maple Island.

I tried to make the usual calls, but no one answered (well Connie was changing diapers).  Might have had over 100 individual warblers today.  Met a birder from Pontoon Beach (teaches at SIU Edwardsville) at Clonfluence and the two of us could not get on the birds fast enough.
I saw some fly across the river and into the trees.

Time at REDA: start wabler watch at 7:30, heaviest action at 8:15-8:45, with the BTBW about 8:35.  Birder confluence about 9:30-11:00.

Good birding
David Rogles

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com