Subject: Chimney Swifts

I wanted to let you all know another huge chimney has been torn down.
This one was at the Jr. High School in Kearney, 6 miles from me. It is the one I have counted the Swifts at migration time. They had been using that chimney since the school was built in 1921. last year I counted up to 3000 Chimney Swifts going in and always at least 1500 up.
A contractor was hired to renovate the older part of the building and add new class rooms.
NO ONE knew they would also remove the chimney.
I received a call last week from a man across the street from the school. He said the chimney was there when he went to work and gone when he got home. He was very upset and many others are too.
I called the contractor and he said no one was told they were removing the chimney. That he did not know about the Swifts or they could have done something else. He was very, very sorry.
I called the Biology teacher that taught abut the Swifts and is a friend. He was shocked! He was getting with the other Biology teacher I know and going to a meeting at the school last Mon. and he would see what could be done. Even the principle and our police chief loved watching the Swifts. This is terrible for us and the birds.
We are thinking we may be able to raise money for a nice Kioske tower in the park or something. I asked the contractor if he could out up a large tower there at the school grounds. He said there was no money for that.
The teachers are to get back with me tomorrow. We all also know the Kearney Courier news people and hop to get this in the news.

So, there you go. This is what's happening everywhere and one reason for the decline in Chimney Swifts. And of course, lack of nesting sites too.

I am so thankful for my towers. Besides a nest in each that produced 4 babies each, we had a nest in our chimney that also produced 4 or 5.

We had a total of 47 swifts to rehab, I have released 34 already. We lost 6 and I have 7 still here to rehab, and hopefully release. They are still not strong enough flyers. I fly them in my bird room for at least a week and at least 5 weeks old.
All but 2 sets were brought  to us because of dampers that were left open or broken.
There is so much work needed for the conservation of these wonderful birds. need to get more info out to the public.

Well, I have to go feed hungry Swifts and watch the 'colony' go in the towers. We started with about 40 roosting in the towers this Spring, but the number has been increasing every night with my releases and etc.,and as of last night there was at least 100.

Joyce Rosson
816-320-3951
 Holt, Mo.