Occasionally I see postings about various bird programs. I started out with Birders Diary 2 then went to version 3.0.2. The new program had voice recognition which made adding birds very easy. Its programs left something to be desired. I was using the program to list the birds seen by birders in SW MO and found no way to print out a trip report. A friend of mine made a program using Access that would do that. Birders Diary also had a problem with renaming species. Some like Hen Harrier for Northern Harrier and Northern Wren for Winter Wren were easy to live with because I was familiar with the other names from Europe. Golden Warbler for Yellow Warbler was a little more of a problem. It also decided to switch AOU order in some strange ways. My worst problem, however, was being unable to make an off computer backup. "Read only" backups are dead easy but getting one I could use incase my hard drive died seemed impossible. I put off worrying about it until August when I decided to try in earnest. I of course tried to get help from Thayer software. They referred me to another site which tried to sell me version 3.5. I downloaded a demo program but was unable to transfer my old data. I wrote a hot letter to Thayer since there is no telephone technical support  and Pete Thayer said they were no longer associated with Birders Diary. Does anybody know if that means Birders Diary is dying or if it is finally going to be run like good business and will support their soft ware? Also if anybody could tell me how to make an off computer backup I would love to hear it.
Dean