Mark your calendars!  As announced in the September issue of The
Bluebird, the Audubon Society of Missouri is hosting a State Birding Day
in conjunction with Grand River Audubon and "The Swan Sitters" on Sunday,
October 9, at Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge in Chariton County in
north central Missouri. It's a "Big Sit" circle bird count, where we sit
and count the birds we see from the comfort of our lawn chairs.  (There's
also a lot of eating involved, not to mention camaraderie with fellow
birders!)   Everyone is invited - info below.
Sue Gustafson
President, Audubon Society of Mo
Audubon Society of Missouri
State Birding Day
October 9, 2005
The “Big Sit” at Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge
Join us for any or all of the 24-hour Big Sit circle bird count at Swan
Lake National Wildlife Refuge in Chariton County in north central
Missouri.
Local host:  Grand River Audubon Chapter and The Swan Sitters
Time:  12:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, October 9
Come at any time, but we’ll be firing up the barbeque grills around 11:00
a.m.
Location:  Park at the Visitor Center at the Refuge and walk to the east
end of the nature trail that starts behind the Visitor Center (about ¼
mile walk).
Bring your own lawn chair, binoculars, beverages, and a side dish to
share with others.  We’ll provide the grills, meat and plates/utensils.
Please bring $3.00 per person to cover the cost of the meat and supplies.
 RSVP to Steve Kinder at [log in to unmask] or at 660-646-6516 by October
5.
For those who may tire of sitting, we may also visit nearby Pershing
State Park or Fountain Grove Conservation Area in the afternoon.
Depending on local swallow activity, we may try to view the “Big Swallow
Show” over the fields in the bottoms east of  Locust Creek at dusk.
Directions: From Hwy 36, take Hwy 130 south through Pershing State Park.
Continue south on YY when 130 turns east. Turn right and go west on
Hwy139 into Sumner. Turn left on RA and go south of Sumner to the main
refuge entrance. Those coming from the east may want to go south on Hwy
139 off Hwy 36 just east of Brookfield. There are signs posted that way.
(There are also maps in ASM’s A Guide to Birding in Missouri).
For those who may want overnight lodging in the area: Brookfield, MO -
Martin House    Motel and restaurant - 660-258-7257 or Best Western -
660-258-4900 and Chillicothe, MO - Super Eight - 660-646-7888 or Grand
River Inn Restaurant and bar 660-646-6590.
Any questions, please contact Steve Kinder at above contact info, or Sue
Gustafson at [log in to unmask] or 314-968-8128.  Also, please consider
carpooling if a group from your area is coming!