With Dave Becher out of town and early afternoon commitments, we went on a brief trip to Busch Conservation Area in St Charles County.  Birds seen and/or heard at Hampden Lake, Fallen Oak Nature Trail (short loop), Lake 33 both ends including "shorebird area":

White-eyed Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, E Wood Peewee, Phoebe,Cedar Waxwings, 2 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks in peachy fall plumage, Northern Parula, Goldfinch, Tufted Titmouse, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Carolina Chickadee, WB Nuthatch, Red-Bellied Woodpecker, Several Green Herons at Hampden and Lake 33, Red-tailed Hawks, Spotted, Pectoral, Yellow-legged Sandpiper species.

At Lake 33 and subsequently over the shorebird area, we were treated to an Osprey flying low and successfully fishing.  Many swallows were swooping about.

At the Weldon Springs Access Katy Trail area, Barn, Bank and Cliff Swallows were identified in the road and on the wires.  Turkey Vultures circled, and we saw and heard both American and Fish Crows; one of the resident Red-headed Woodpeckers was spotted.  We did not see the Painted Bunting and neither saw nor heard Indigo Bunting.

We found everything quiet and sweltering at Lost Valley.  Lunch at Klondike Park was pleasant, but without memorable birds.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County