I found a dead first-fall female Wilson's Warbler on the sidewalk
this afternoon (9/5/05) when Chuck and I were taking a stroll in the
neighborhood.  She had a bloody area on her lower back - may have
been hit by a car.

Didn't have time for an extended outing this morning so I spent a few
minutes in Lafayette Park.  There were a couple of Black-and-whites,
an American Redstart, a Northern Parula, a Common Yellowthroat, a
Magnolia, and an empid that I think was a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher -
it was tiny, and its throat was grayish yellow, wings were very dark
with bright wing bars and primary projection not very short but not
very long either, bold eye ring, and it was hanging out low in a very
dense shrub.

There were 3 hummingbirds in the backyard this morning.  I saw my
first yard hummer the day before yesterday.  Enjoyed watching one at
the feeder yesterday - everyone at our family gathering got to see
her up close.  The 3 this morning were tussling over the feeder.  The
Mexican bush sage has buds, which I check several times a day for
signs of opening.

Sherry McCowan
Saint Louis, Missouri