I visited Atlanta Conservation Area and Long Branch Lake in Macon county (northeast MO)
yesterday evening.  The marsh behind the shooting range at Atlanta is almost completely dry and
was devoid of birds except for a few Great Blue Herons.  Not too many migrant songbirds either,
as the only ones I found were empids that remained quiet. The usual residents (gnatcatchers,
chickadees, goldfinches) were abundant, and I did get a pair of Barred Owls to respond to my
voiced calls near the marsh, and they even went into the call that reminds me of hooting monkeys.

At Long Branch there were more boaters enjoying the holiday weekend than birds.  But I did find
lots of cormorants, a few Ring-billed Gulls, and a lone Common Tern, which was a new Missouri
bird for me.

Regarding the birdpods... I have an iPod mini with my all my music on it that I loaded my Peterson
Field Guides "Birding by Ear" series onto as well.  This works quite well for me, and the total price
of this was less than the marked price of the birdpod.  I don't know whether there are additional
features for the birdpod, but I just thought I would let people know that there are other options
out there for having a digital database of birdcalls that work very well.  Also, I should probably put
the disclaimer in... I am in no way affiliated with Peterson Field Guides or Apple or have any
financial stake in either.

Phil Wire
Kirksville, Adair County