I read Miller's book in Ms, which was very readable, full of interesting anecdotal material, which gives a more rounded sense of TSE's personality (as a young man) than maybe any other bio now in print. For instance, it rightly stresses the importance of key friendships, such as those with Aiken and Harold Peters.

Miller did not get much cooperation from TSE's Estate -- one recalls the many strictures attending Ackroyd's bio, and one sees more of the same here. (I can sympathize, having been turned down with efficient politeness in a form letter from Valerie when I applied for minor assistance from the Estate.)

Miller does a fine job of integrating TSE's bio with his emerging sense of himself as poet. It is strongest in its summation (and follow-through) of earlier researches into TSE's schooling, including Harvard and Oxford.

As one might expect, it returns to the matter of TSE's sexual identity (you've been noting Miller's previous book in this e-list). It overlaps to some extent with Gordon's bio of TSE's Early Years, but the emphases are quite different. Where Gordon sees TSE as a solitary given to night vigils, etc., Miller places TSE more squarely in his collegiate context, and he deals extensively with influences from Harvard philosophy to doctoral study at Merton, and the pernicious interference of Russell in his marriage during the harried years as lecturer in London. I was surprised to note that the Ms did not deal with gay or queer theory, and it did not reflect Rainey's findings in TWL as published in various articles (it was written concurrently with Rainey's books, but the articles were in print in Yale Review and elsewhere). Perhaps these deficiencies have been corrected in the published book.

In a way (to me, not necessarily to Miller), TSE's or Bildung (i.e., youthful phase of intellectual development) recalls Wordsworth's self-constitution as recollected in The Prelude (subtitled "The Growth of the Poet's Mind" [I guess Miller borrowed WW's idea in his title (see below)]): Just as WW was a child of Nature (and educated by Nature), so TSE was a child of the City and of books and formidable tutors (he may be the best-educated poet ever). This "Bildung," along with influences from the Continent, e.g., urban Symbolistes like Laforgue, made TSE impatient with the British Romantics. And this in turn led to Modernism's radical break with British Romantic/Victorian poetic tradition. It's interesting to note Anglophone poetry's return to its British roots (e.g., Hardy; cf. Basil Bunting, Heaney, et al.) after WWII, when TSE's poetic influence was on the wane.  --  Jim Loucks

T.S. Eliot: The Making Of An American Poet, 1888-1922 (Hardcover)

by James E., Jr. Miller

Pasted from <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0271026812/ref=olp_product_details/002-1309672-0366448?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance>

James Loucks, Ph.D.
Ohio State University-Newark