As difficult as it is to be in agreement with anything presented by the phantom "CR Mittal", I consider Nancy's reaction to his contribution as a glaring example of the "bleeding heart" syndrome.

Such a lot of nonsense.
----- Original Message -----
  From: cr mittal
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 5:07 PM
  Subject: Re: {{very OT}}RE: Echoes of Eliot

  Vis-a-vis some reactions to this posting, I wish to submit that it was only intended to highlight the romantic aspect of Eliot's poetry. And personal pain is essentially a romantic strain.  In doing so I was only toeing Peter Ackroyd who remarked that the impersonality imposed by art on Eliot's personal feelings did not detract either from the genuineness of his pain, or of the loneliness which it imposed upon him. ('T.S. Eliot: A Life', New York: Simon and Schuster, 1984, p. 306).

   I hope I am here at "T.S. Eliot Discussion Forum".

  ~ CR

  cr mittal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    "sovegna vos a temps de ma dolor"  (be mindful in due time of my pain)

    A classicist only in tendency and, admittedly, a romantic at heart,
    TSE wanted us to remember his pain. Albeit by inference. You will
    pardon me if I feel prompted to commemorate it.

    "By the waters of Leman I sat down and wept . .
     Sweet Thames, run softly till I end my song,
     Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long."

    "The new years walk, restoring
     Through a bright cloud of tears, the years, restoring
     With a new verse the ancient rhyme."

    "Footfalls echo in the memory
     Down the passage which we did not take
     Towards the door we never opened
     Into the rose-garden."

    "She turned away, but with the autumn weather
    Compelled my imagination many days...
    Sometimes these cogitations still amaze
    The troubled midnight and the noon's repose."

    "The notion of some infinitely gentle
     Infinitely suffering thing."

    Regards.

    CR

      And some on the list would think, no doubt, he should be
      re-possessed. I have been reminded of a dream I had
      when I was doing my graduate work on Eliot (keeping
      in mind that I seldom have memorable dreams). I met
      him in some sort of billiard parlour. I asked him how
      he was doing, and he replied that he was in great pain.
      I'm sure that will give joy to those who think he deserves
      it based on what evidence they think they have as to
      how he behaved. Reminds me of the Salem witch trials
      (cf the Crucible). New England puritanism rides again.

      I prefer to think I was inflicting pain on him myself by
      what I was doing with my work.

      All very Dantesque.

      P.