Dear Nancy,

Not to sound flippant, but I wonder on what criteria
you distinguish between what you call psuedo-poetry
and bad poetry; and what then is your distinction
between poetry on the one hand (as opposed to pseudo)
and good poetry on the other (as opposed to bad) based
on ? And is poetry | psuedo-poetry   |  good
poetry|bad poetry your only set of distinctions?

Eliot distinguished between poetry, prose and verse;
sensibly tripartite, I think, and intelligently
seizing on a valid (but not necessarily easy to
enunciate or illustrate) distinction between poetry
and verse. On the other hand, he also wrote that the
worst poetry, to him, is that in which poet does not
know what he wants to say, and doesn't know that he
doesn't know what he wants to say (he said it better
than that). He elaborates on this in UPUC and in some
of the essays in OPP.

As for rap, I did not read the linked article, so
these remarks are off the cuff, but much of what I
have heard (very little, thankfully) is brutish,
vulgar, degrading, simplistic, impoverished and
violent; in short, neither music nor poetry.

I have yet to see anyone who can substantiate their
critical remarks about rap with quotation, elucidation
and comparison attempt to raise it to the level of
art.

Yours, Jennifer