When the bridegroom smoothed his hair
There was blood upon the bed.
Morning was already late.
Children singing in the orchard
(Io Hymen, HymenŠe)
Succuba eviscerate.

Published in Facsimile:

Leaving the bubbling beverage to cool,
Fresca slips softly to the needful stool,
Where the pathetic tale of Richardson
Eases her labour until the deed is done.
                . . .

Fresca! in other time or place had been
A meek and lowly weeping Magdalene;
More sinned against than sinning, bruised of marred,
The lazy laughing Jenny of the bard.
(The same eternal and consuming itch
Can make a martyr or plain simple bitch);
Or prudent sly domestic puss puss cat,
Or Autumn's favourite in a furnished flat,
Or strolling slattern in a tawdry gown,
A doorstep dunged by every dog in town.

[It was Pound who removed this stuff from TWL.]

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/12/05 9:23 AM >>>
' I see echoes of Swift in TSE's image of women: for
instance both of them were bothered by the fact that
women had bodily functions '

I remember a stanza from Swift that Lawrence quoted
often which went like this:

'but celia s***s...' (to rhyme with spits)

Can't remember a similar kind of repulsion in Eliot
though !  Can you throw some light?

http://mail.yahoo.com