Carrol,

I wonder if the destruction of the anagogical mind is a "positive achievement".
It would perhaps be better to view the point in a wider perspective than to be depricative of either side. As Russell said, "I don't at all discard what belongs to mysticism, but I feel it is rather an inspiration and a refuge in great moments than a mood to live in while one has difficult work to do."  Your other observation, "It is true that anagogical modes of thought produced great art. But so have (and will) other modes." should be welcome.

~ CR

Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Peter Montgomery wrote:

> The anagogical mind is dead?

One of the very few positive achievements of capitalism was bringing
about this destruction. It is a mind that can only arise within the
brutalities of the feudal world and its fixed (and seemingly visible)
social hierarchy.

It is true that anagogical modes of thought produced great art. But so
have (and will) other modes.

Carrol

Yahoo! for Good