McLuhan: I've always been very careful never to predict any-
thing that had not already happened. The future is not what
it used to be. It is here. And when you look into the rear-
view mirror what you ordinarily see is not the car you
passed but the truck that's coming up on you fast. Never
look back. They may be gaining on you. So you can't lose.
You can't win. The present includes the past and the future.
back-room confidants who were suddenly flushed out into the
public eye as expendable.

McLuhan, Marshall. UNDERSTANDING ME: LECTURES AND INTERVIEWS.
Eds: Stephanie McLuhan and David Staines. Toronto:
McClelland and Stewart, 2003: 172.

Wyndham Lewis, the painter-writer, once said to me, “The
artist is engaged in painting or describing the future in detail
because he is the only person who knows how to live in the
present.” However, to live in the present, or to take today now,
involves acceptance of the entire past as now and the entire
future as present. Science fiction doesn't really measure up to
the everyday reality because the real has become fantastic. The
future is not what it used to be, and it is now possible to predict
the past in many scientific senses. With carbon-14 tests available,
we can now predict why we shall have to rewrite most of the
past, simply because we can see much more of it simultaneously.

McLuhan, Marshall. UNDERSTANDING ME: LECTURES AND INTERVIEWS.
Eds: Stephanie McLuhan and David Staines. Toronto:
McClelland and Stewart, 2003: 198.