I wouldn't be surprised if you rated Orwell or Ibsen’s
'thought' higher than Chesterton’s and hence even
higher than Eliot !

I am reminded of a verse by swinburne (quoted from
memory) :

'...what is, we do not see, and what is not, we always
see,
Fiddle, we call it diddle, and Diddle, dee ...'

I am pretty sure Eliot would never have meant that one
shouldn’t have political ideas or anything of that
sort.  It is indeed difficult for someone who isn’t
able to grasp what a ‘great mind’ means to look at the
*propositional* content of a passage as that quote on
Henry James.  And I am sure Carroll would find Yeats
much worse than an ‘idiote’, even a barbarian, if he
reads a passage as :

‘The playboy (of the western world) shocked a good
many
people, because it was a self-improving,
self-educating audience, and
that
means a perverted and commonplace audience.  If you
set out to educate
yourself, you are compelled to have an ideal, a model
of what you would
be;
and if you are not a man of genius, your model will be
commonplace and
prevent the natural impulses of the mind, its natural
reverence,
desire,
hope, admiration, always half unconscious, almost
bodily.’

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs