Of course, that's what he literally is. But one may as well read Eliot's line on Hieronymo
as an ironical reflection on the temper, or rather the spiritual distemper, of our age. To me, Hieronymo is a metaphor for those who aspire in the face of failure and public ridicule.

CR

Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Well, in Kyd and in TWL he's mad.

Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/26/05 9:16 AM >>>
Indeed to "the world" Hieronymo's mad. ~ CR

Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>wrote:Amen.
Peter

Ken Armstrong wrote:

> [...]
> would never be snide to you, Nancy (how ever did you manage to insert
> yourself into this as if I'd in anyway addressed you?) because (ok,
> now I'll address you)it would have no effect. As usual, when Eliot is
> to be trampled upon, and in this case rather foolishly and mundanely,
> you are quick to defend the tramplers. It has long been, in its
> frequency, pitch, and content, predictable. Not too long ago, Jacek
> was howling about how you had to hold forth on every opinion opined on

> the list. Now he thinks you are so kind. See the dynamics here?
>
> Shall I point out that it makes no difference how many critics wish to

> complexify their view of Eliot and to encourage each other in this
> enterprise if they are, to be neutral, in error? Communal and
> fashionable error, if you like. Your analytic strategy of separating
> what Eliot knew from what he did, and, incredibly, casting aspersions
> on his spirituality, doesn't stand up to even a cursory examination.
> That you and however many of your fellow critics pursue that line is
> really more a reflection on you and them than on Eliot. It is belied
> utterly by the poetry, a truth those 80's and 90's critics apparently
> have no purchase on.
>
> Your belief in progress, and group progress at that, is in a way
> admirable, but you don't seem to understand that no matter how many
> new "facts" are unearthed and are brandished by how ever many new (as
> in recent, current) critics, what makes the poetry poetry remains
> untouched. This is an absolute. This is an absolute, and someone who
> comprehended it in 1951 or 1936 or 1922 cannot be trumped by the
> latest "theory" and its numerous declaimers in the 80's, 90's or any
> other time, or by some letters finally published in 2021.
>
> One's complexified view, when it does not grasp this fundamental
> truth, is distracted from distraction by distraction, i.e. is more
> accurately described as compromised.
>
> As far as what I can imagine about you, it is that you probably won't
> accept any of this. And why should you? It's not what you see yourself

> invested in. But thank you for giving me the opportunity to express
it.

> Ken A.
>
> --On Thursday, September 22, 2005 12:07 PM -0400 Nancy Gish
> wrote:
>
>> I am not sure it is just a "machine," but Jacek is not at all into
>> baloney. It is a fact (from reading nearly every book on him) that,
>> unlike most writers, Eliot gets treated as a figure of moral or
>> spiritual or cultural authority largely on the basis of his own
>> assertion of morality, piety, and/or knowledge. The knowledge is
>> unquestionable; the morality and spirituality are extremely
>> questionable, as witness the constant questions. It is pointless to
be
>> snide to Jacek or to me, given the strong reaction against Eliot's
>> claims in--especially--the 80s and 90s. At this point (and
Cassandra's

--
9/22/2005