A heartfelt thank you to those of you who have kindly taken the time to
make a positive contribution. I was struck by some powerful words from a
16 year old student (see below) and coming across this forum thought it
would be interesting to compare two or more different responses to Eliot
with my class.

Kind regards,

Craig

P.S. Please rest assured that my students are relishing the challenge of
wrestling with Eliot's words. I first stumbled across Eliot 7 years ago
at university and am delighted to have the chance to study him again
with my class for a term.

Amazon.co.uk Review of Eliot's Selected Poems:

The greatest poet of the 20th Century October 15, 2002

This is a fantastic book from the greatest poet of the 20th century. I
am a 16 year-old and having just started A level courses, I have found
that my readings of Eliot have helped enormously with my understanding
of other poetry. I would argue that if one can come some way to
understanding Eliot, then there is nothing out there that one will not
understand. He is known for his complexity but should not be labelled
impenetrable, though Eliot's poems are often obscure and challenging
there is always a message that Eliot wanted us to see. I have been
reading Eliot since I was 15 and my liking of him has grown with age, I
also love the Victorian poets such as Browning, Empson, Baudelaire,
Blake etc and many of the modern poets such as Thomas, Plath and so on
but I have always found that there is something extra special about
Eliot. His range of poetry is one thing, from the masterpiece of "The
Waste Land" to the phillisophical genuis of "Four Quartets", to the
humour and sadness of "Prufrock" to the mystery and brilliance of "The
Hollow Men" Eliot has everything. I think his poetry is widely
mis-understood and critics argue over meaning and miss the point that
Eliot placed one's own perception so much higher than accepted views and
ideas, hence the fact that he never answered questions on "The Waste
Land".