It was never an ivory tower, and it remains a very diverse but also
serious space for creativity.  I don't agree with Jennifer's way of
addressing rap, but this is far more mistaken in its simplistic
dismissal of major work.  Writers do not spend their lives struggling to
"purify the dialect of the tribe" for nothing or just to produce casual
easy hack work.
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/22/05 1:29 AM >>>
"I've gotta use words when I speak to you,
  but if you understand or if you don't, that's nothing to me and
nothing to you.
  we all gotta do what we gotta do."

Or something like that.

Rap is chant, and so is somethimes is poetry.

The literary ivory tower, like other towers struck from above,
 is going the way of the falling tower of the Tarot deck.

Cheers,
Peter

Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com