Well, I do care and do not allow students to use them incorrectly.  I
think any word or form that makes a difference in meaning needs to be
retained.  That is not the same is changing vocabulary or style.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/08/05 12:04 PM >>>
Re: Echoes of EliotTo quote from "Brideshead" again: "You were quite
right."

I would say/write "whom" rather than "who", but no one cares anymore
even in a "literary" forum such as this one.

For the same reason it took the assorted listers several days recently
to discern the difference between "printer's" and "printers' " [as in
marks (rather than MARX)].

Jacek Niecko
Washington DC