Peter Montgomery wrote:

> Much as I am no fan of trying to find the pattern behind the pattern
> in poetic interpretation, given that the poet is out to get an effect,
> not write an essay,
> I am also a lover of puzzles, and so I have an idea as to the pattern
> behind
> some lines in TWL. Rickard agrees. In fact he helped a lot with this,
> so I
> have no problem saying this is co-authored. :) Also Jim Loucks helped
> a lot,
> given that I had misread Val's note on HWE's deafness, as applying to
> Sr. and not Jr.
> Carlessness on my part. Rickard has given me the honour  of stating
> the case.
>
> Some time ago someone asked about how one might read the lines about
> the speaker talking about being round behind the gashouse meditating on
> the King his father's death, and the King his brother's wreck.
>
> It is useful to know that there is a canal (the dull canal) in London,
> the Regent's
> Canal. (you know Regent vis-a-vis King and all that).  It basically
> circumvents London
> on the northern side,  starting in the western limits of London going
> up to roughly
> its northern limits, and coming out again at its eastern limits.
>
> The eastern access does have a gashouse on it, although a more notable
> feature would be the Limehouse.
>
> The rest seems somewhat simple, if one wants to accept the theory.
> The King is Henry Ware Eliot Sr. deceased.
> The brother is Henry Ware Eliot Jr. somewhat deafened.
> Question [not important]: Are fathers and oldest brothers regents, ie
> persons
> of legal responsibility over the behaviour of syblings not having
> reached their majority?
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Dear Peter,
    I find this a very strange way to think about a poem.  You haven't
found any "pattern behind a pattern" in the poem.  (Why "in poetic
interpretation," which is the domain of readers, not the poet?)  You've
decided how Eliot's imagination worked , not in what he gives to the
reader, but in what you think motivated him.  This is rather like saying
Robert Frost once saw a wall.

Why is this canal any more or less dull than any other canal?
If your question is not important, why do you think the two Henrys are
two Kings?
What on earth is a "sybling"?

What do any of the supposed models you posit have to do with the lines?

Failing in my meditations on this,
Marcia