Much as I am no fan of trying to find the pattern behind the pattern
in poetic interpretation, given that the poet is out to get an effect,
not write an essay,
I am also a lover of puzzles, and so I have an idea as to the pattern behind
some lines in TWL. Rickard agrees. In fact he helped a lot with this, so I
have no problem saying this is co-authored. :) Also Jim Loucks helped a lot,
given that I had misread Val's note on HWE's deafness, as applying to
Sr. and not Jr.
Carlessness on my part. Rickard has given me the honour  of stating the
case.

Some time ago someone asked about how one might read the lines about
the speaker talking about being round behind the gashouse meditating on
the King his father's death, and the King his brother's wreck.

It is useful to know that there is a canal (the dull canal) in London,
the Regent's
Canal. (you know Regent vis-a-vis King and all that).  It basically
circumvents London
on the northern side,  starting in the western limits of London going up
to roughly
its northern limits, and coming out again at its eastern limits.

The eastern access does have a gashouse on it, although a more notable
feature would be the Limehouse.

The rest seems somewhat simple, if one wants to accept the theory.
The King is Henry Ware Eliot Sr. deceased.
The brother is Henry Ware Eliot Jr. somewhat deafened.
Question [not important]: Are fathers and oldest brothers regents, ie
persons
of legal responsibility over the behaviour of syblings not having
reached their majority?

Cheers,
Peter