George Carless wrote:

> But "to author" is not necessarily "to write".

Indeed. There is a wide variety of scholarly opinion on how much of the
_Iliad_ "Homer" composed, but there is no debate whatever about "Homer"
being the _author_ of the poem. In fact, by some accounts of the poem,
the _author_ of the _Iliad_ was to the poem precisely as Pound was to
TWL. In other words, he authored the poem by selecting (and adding to)
words composed by others. Pound did not add anything, but it was he
rather than Eliot who saw the finished product in the raw material
produced by Eliot.

I've just been rereading those god-awful couplets that thanks to Pound
were purged. According to the editorial note this passage specifically
was intended to be an imitation of the Rape of the Lock.  Such couplets
seem to me more like candidates for inclusion in _Peri Bathous_. E.g.,

	I hope that nothing mars your gaity,
	And things go better with you, than with me.

Pope at the age of 16 would not have written anything so flat.

Pound was certainly correct in telling Eliot that "you cannot parody
Pope unless you can write better verse than Pope -- and you can't." The
same note quotes Eliot in the Paris Review (1959) saying that "Pound
advised him to 'Do something different.'" Very good advice.

Carrol