Somewhat extending this framework, Frost's poem is about "knowing" the
woods and not "knowing" them.  The speaker says "I think I know / His
house is in the village though."  And the woods are dark and deep and
mysterious.

So too the "who" of the author.
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/13/05 6:54 AM >>>
I'm glad that "semantic quibble" has been dropped from this discussion.

Not because it isn't apt to think hard about the terms used, but
because
the phrase trivializes the matter, in spite of the fact that semantics

are central to poems and (with luck) to writing about them.  "Quibble,"

too, has a relation to our subject; its proposed etymology is from
"quib" : "who, which."

Marcia