On further thought, you are right. Comspiracy is somewhat inaccurate.
It is more like a religious commitment to desacralise, or, if you will
(or won't) de-anagogicalise his work, to limit his influence to literary
interest
and away from any of the work he did to express what oft was thought
but not so well expressed in the area of inner human experience, esp.
personal religious experience.

"saying that this was all folly"

Peter