Nancy Gish wrote:

> I am not clear about what point is being made.  Why are you
> "commemorating" Eliot's pain--especially since it was an apparently very
> personal psychoneurosis (his own account, not mine--"aboulia," emotional
> not mental, etc., see letters) in a time when very terrible death and
> sorrow is occuring to thousands?

On my first real encountering of Eliot (specifically TWL in a poetry
class) I was extremely frustrated.  Fortunately the university library
had a copy of "T.S. Eliot's Personal Waste Land: Exorcism of the
Demons" by James E. Miller Jr. (now once again in print.)  Miller's
explaination of TWL was a portrayal of Eliot's personal pain through
WW I and the immediate post-war years.  It was Miller's book that
attracted me to TWL and to TSE and caused me to sympathize with
Eliot's problems.  It got me hooked in a big way.

Regards,
    Rick Parker

And, at teh hi risk of encurrin' Jaceks rath, hear are sum URL's pushin'
book's:
  Miller's new book:
    http://www.psupress.org/books/titles/0-271-02681-2.html
    http://www.psupress.org/Justataste/samplechapters/justatasteMillerTS.html