Carrol Cox wrote:

> I think "great mind" is a phrase that does not indicate anything of
> interest to discuss. Why do you think we should think about it?

Well then, how about fine minds?

   [Henry] James's critical genius comes out most tellingly in his
   mastery over, his baffling escape from, Ideas; a mastery and an escape
   which are perhaps the last test of a superior intelligence. He had a
   mind so fine that no idea could violate it.... In England, ideas run
   wild and pasture on the emotions; instead of thinking with our
   feelings (a very different thing) we corrupt our feelings with ideas;
   we produce the public, the political, the emotional idea, evading
   sensation and thought.... Mr. Chesterton's brain swarms with ideas;
   I see no evidence that it thinks. James in his novels is like the best
   French critics in maintaining a point of view, a view-point untouched
   by the parasite idea. He is the most intelligent man of his generation.

T.S. Eliot, Little Review, 1918

Taken from http://www.nybooks.com/articles/4914

Regards,
    Rick Parker