Wow, you guys are old, but then again, I'm 42 and sometimes find myself
considering the rapid passage of time. But, no matter.  I look like  32.  Going to
the gym every day does that.  I'm still receptive to  "new" poets.  I've
suddenly become interested in a woman poet, which is  unusual for me (except for
Sylvia).  Her name is Kathleen Raine. She  was a great friend of the
naturalist, Gavin Maxwell. In fact, it's  been said that she was deeply in love with
him, despite the fact that he was  gay. Gavin loved her, but not romantically.
Gavin lived much of his  adult life during the same time period as Eliot,
although Eliot was  born 25 years before him.  They both died in the 1960's.
Maxwell did  not want it known that he was a homosexual.

In a message dated 9/9/2005 7:12:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  Jacek Niecko wrote:
>

>     There was a  time in my life when I was quite receptive to Eliot's
> poetry and  prose.
>     Now, at 71, I find his opus arid and  stilted.

I, at 75, find this true of his prose, but the occasional  times on this
list when his poetry has been discussed have led me to a  rereading
Gerontion, TWL, & 4Q, and I find my interest in the poems  revived
(though still not to the extent to which I respond to Jonson,  Milton,
Pope, & Pound).

Carrol