I am not clear about what point is being made.  Why are you
"commemorating" Eliot's pain--especially since it was an apparently very
personal psychoneurosis (his own account, not mine--"aboulia," emotional
not mental, etc., see letters) in a time when very terrible death and
sorrow is occuring to thousands?

I'm sure this will produce a mass fit, but it seems a somewhat
inappropriate time for such prompting.
Curious,
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/09/05 1:27 PM >>>
"sovegna vos a temps de ma dolor"  (be mindful in due time of my pain)

A classicist only in tendency and, admittedly, a romantic at heart,
TSE wanted us to remember his pain. Albeit by inference. You will
pardon me if I feel prompted to commemorate it.

"By the waters of Leman I sat down and wept . .
 Sweet Thames, run softly till I end my song,
 Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long."

"The new years walk, restoring
 Through a bright cloud of tears, the years, restoring
 With a new verse the ancient rhyme."

"Footfalls echo in the memory
 Down the passage which we did not take
 Towards the door we never opened
 Into the rose-garden."

"She turned away, but with the autumn weather
Compelled my imagination many days...
Sometimes these cogitations still amaze
The troubled midnight and the noon's repose."

"The notion of some infinitely gentle
 Infinitely suffering thing."

Regards.

CR

Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]> wrote:And some on the list
would think, no doubt, he should be
re-possessed. I have been reminded of a dream I had
when I was doing my graduate work on Eliot (keeping
in mind that I seldom have memorable dreams). I met
him in some sort of billiard parlour. I asked him how
he was doing, and he replied that he was in great pain.
I'm sure that will give joy to those who think he deserves
it based on what evidence they think they have as to
how he behaved. Reminds me of the Salem witch trials
(cf the Crucible). New England puritanism rides again.

I prefer to think I was inflicting pain on him myself by
what I was doing with my work.

All very Dantesque.

P.