Dear Craig,

He should be studied for the reason you give:  he created brilliant
images and verses.  My students at every level in college love his work.
 One does not study simply to have one's views reinforced or to praise:
one studies to understand, to experience, to know.  And Eliot was also
the most influential poet and critic of his time.  You cannot understand
modernism without knowing Eliot.

I think his own experience and his representation of it also reveal
fundamental issues of living in a world of war and
displacement--emotional as well as physical.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/26/05 9:06 AM >>>

Eliot's poetry on the whole strikes me as repulsive and yet there are
images and verses that are more compelling than any other words I have
read. If anyone can articulate why Eliot is worth studying (with a 16/17
year old audience in mind) I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Craig

All mail sent and received may be examined to prevent transmission
of unacceptable material.
Wellington College does not accept responsibility for email contents.
Problems to [log in to unmask]
Website: http://www.wellingtoncollege.org.uk