From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. on behalf of Marcia Karp
Sent: Mon 12-Sep-05 2:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Whose poem this is I think I know

Dear Jennifer,
    I know you weren't at the TSE Society meeting in Gloucester.  Helen Vendler was quite vociferous, and I think, quite right, in taking on a claim someone made about Pound being E's collaborating author on TWL.  I don't know if she is in print on this, but I wish she were, since I've lost the details of what she said.
    Like you, I believe there is a difference between wrote the poem and who didn't.  I've yet to understand why it seems as if people discuss Eliot as if he is strange in being a poet who showed his work to other poets.

Best,
Marcia

Nancy Gish wrote:
Dear Jennifer,

I think this is a Jamesian quibble.  No one thinks Pound held a gun at
Eliot's head and forced him to cut or die.  We know he told him many
parts should be cut, and Eliot accepted the editing.

No one has to accept editing, true.  But it was Pound who identified
this to be cut.
I don't care it you want to change the words because the facts are well
known.   A  la James--it only makes a difference if it makes a
difference, and it doesn't.
Nancy

[log in to unmask] 09/12/05 12:28 PM >>>

Dear Nancy,

I know we've had this quibble before, but, in contrary
to what you say this post (Revulsion) about Pound,

"[It was Pound who removed this stuff from TWL.]"

Pound did not, properly, remove anything from TWL. He
gave Eliot suggestions, and Eliot himself decided what
to alter and expunge; sometimes acting on Pound's
advice, sometimes disregarding it.

Yours, Jennifer