From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. on behalf of Ken Armstrong
Sent: Sun 11-Sep-05 6:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Craig Raine (was Re: Echoes of Eliot)

Jim,

Thanks for this reference to Raine. I took my Sunday "free time" and went
directly to the library to scope out his _In Defence of T S Eliot_.  Who
could resist that title, at least on this list? I'm not sure in what way he
is arch in his defence of TSE -- it all seemed rather measured and calm
(and witty--hope that doesn't mean he's a neocon!  : ) --  but he does have
the merits of being logical and factual to a fault.  Very enjoyable. And in
the often-thought-but-ne'er-so-well-expressed dept., he's read my mind and
better said it on C. Ricks.  His piece on Salinger and _Catcher in the Rye_
shone real light, too. A pleasure to meet Mr. Raine.

Cheers,
Ken A.