CFP: TRANSIT, "Translation and Mobility" (12/15/05; e-journal issue) TRANSIT
http://german.berkeley.edu/transit
ISSN 1551-9627

The editors of TRANSIT -- a new internet-based, multidisciplinary journal published by the German Department at the University of California, Berkeley -- invite submissions for its second annual issue in 2006 on the topic "Translation and Mobility." Submissions for the special topic will be published in three rounds throughout the year 2006. Papers for the first round, to appear in Winter 2006, need to be submitted by December 15, 2005.

TRANSIT is the first internet journal in German Studies to make use of new web-based technology. It responds to the visual turn in literary studies and seeks to push boundaries both of traditional scholarship and of print publication. The online format of this journal enables authors to integrate multimedia content (images, film clips, spoken text, and music) into their work. We welcome critical and creative work, in English or German, from all areas in which mobility and transition are major forces, from translation to travelogues and other forms of cultural transfer.

Possible topics for the "Translation and Mobility" issue include:
--The translation of mobility. Translation and narratives of mobility. Who speaks in translations?
--Translation and German history: to what extent is the notion of a "national" history undermined by translation?
--Theories of translation and multiculturalism.
--Translation and identity: translation as vehicle of subjectivity, intersubjectivity, and/or transnational subjectivities.
--The politics / ethics of translation. The sociology of translation.
--Translation and technology, e.g. how does technology increase or diminish the potential of crossing linguistic and cultural boundaries? What are the cultural effects?
--Translation and media theory: how is translation deployed in different media, e.g. subtitles in film, internet translation machines, etc.
--Translation studies and linguistics, e.g. translation as a catalyst of linguistic change: does translation function as a "transformative" force or rather as a "conservative" force? How does translation destabilize or stabilize linguistic systems and hence, cultural practices?
--Can images be translated? Are pictures universal?
--How do German films "translate" across culture? Do dubbed Hollywood films become German films?
--Music and translation. How does music mobilize communities and cultural practices?
--Translation and the mobility of images. Traveling images.
--What role does translation play in the production of stereotypes?

Please submit a 250 word abstract to the editors at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> before you send your paper. We are eager to exchange ideas with you and provide feedback. The earliest deadline for this annual issue is 15 December 2005, the next deadline is 15 April 2005, and the latest date for inclusion in the 2006 issue is 15 September 2006.

In addition, each issue of TRANSIT will offer an Open Forum for scholarly and creative work on issues of transition and travel in classical German works, from Parzival and Wilhelm Meisters Wanderjahre to the road movies of Wim Wenders. We also encourage multidiscisplinary analysis of non-canonical texts, debates, new media, and material culture. We are especially interested in explorations of such uniquely German (and untranslatable) concepts of mobility as Fernweh, Wanderlust, and Heimweh. We appreciate comparative studies that frame German examples within larger theoretical and historical concerns. We prefer essays that make creative use of available multimedia technologies.

We consider submissions for the Open Forum at any time. Because of the review process and revisions, time between receipt of article and its publication may vary, but we will strive to cut down considerably the usual time in print publication. Please contact us if you have questions at [log in to unmask].