TRANSIT
http://german.berkeley.edu/transit
ISSN 1551-9627

The editors of TRANSIT -- a new internet-based, multidisciplinary journal
published by the German Department at the University of California, Berkeley
-- invite submissions for its second annual issue in 2006 on the topic
"Translation and Mobility." Submissions for the special topic will be
published in three rounds throughout the year 2006. Papers for the first
round, to appear in Winter 2006, need to be submitted by December 15, 2005.

TRANSIT is the first internet journal in German Studies to make use of new
web-based technology. It responds to the visual turn in literary studies and
seeks to push boundaries both of traditional scholarship and of print
publication. The online format of this journal enables authors to integrate
multimedia content (images, film clips, spoken text, and music) into their
work. We welcome critical and creative work, in English or German, from all
areas in which mobility and transition are major forces, from translation to
travelogues and other forms of cultural transfer.

Possible topics for the "Translation and Mobility" issue include:
--The translation of mobility. Translation and narratives of mobility. Who
speaks in translations?
--Translation and German history: to what extent is the notion of a
"national" history undermined by translation?
--Theories of translation and multiculturalism.
--Translation and identity: translation as vehicle of subjectivity,
intersubjectivity, and/or transnational subjectivities.
--The politics / ethics of translation. The sociology of translation.
--Translation and technology, e.g. how does technology increase or diminish
the potential of crossing linguistic and cultural boundaries? What are the
cultural effects?
--Translation and media theory: how is translation deployed in different
media, e.g. subtitles in film, internet translation machines, etc.
--Translation studies and linguistics, e.g. translation as a catalyst of
linguistic change: does translation function as a "transformative" force or
rather as a "conservative" force? How does translation destabilize or
stabilize linguistic systems and hence, cultural practices?
--Can images be translated? Are pictures universal?
--How do German films "translate" across culture? Do dubbed Hollywood films
become German films?
--Music and translation. How does music mobilize communities and cultural
practices?
--Translation and the mobility of images. Traveling images.
--What role does translation play in the production of stereotypes?

Please submit a 250 word abstract to the editors at
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> before you
send your paper. We are eager to exchange ideas with you and provide
feedback. The earliest deadline for this annual issue is 15 December 2005,
the next deadline is 15 April 2005, and the latest date for inclusion in the
2006 issue is 15 September 2006.

In addition, each issue of TRANSIT will offer an Open Forum for scholarly
and creative work on issues of transition and travel in classical German
works, from Parzival and Wilhelm Meisters Wanderjahre to the road movies of
Wim Wenders. We also encourage multidiscisplinary analysis of non-canonical
texts, debates, new media, and material culture. We are especially
interested in explorations of such uniquely German (and untranslatable)
concepts of mobility as Fernweh, Wanderlust, and Heimweh. We appreciate
comparative studies that frame German examples within larger theoretical and
historical concerns. We prefer essays that make creative use of available
multimedia technologies.

We consider submissions for the Open Forum at any time. Because of the
review process and revisions, time between receipt of article and its
publication may vary, but we will strive to cut down considerably the usual
time in print publication. Please contact us if you have questions at