From: Karina Marie Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: CFP Medieval Grad Student Journal

Hortulus
The Online Graduate Journal of Medieval Studies

C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S

Hortulus is a refereed journal devoted to the literatures and cultures
of the medieval world. Published electronically once a year, its mission
is to present a forum in which graduate students from around the globe
may share their ideas. We are currently running a contest for
contributions for our next issue, which will be devoted to the topic of

HYBRIDITY

The idea of hybridity is necessarily complex. Recent discussions have
tended to address it in terms of identity and identity formation, but it
may be extended to many other areas, including:

Nationality and nationalism
Culture, cultural motifs, and cultural practices
Religion and religious syncretism
Language(s) . The body . Literary hybrid genres
Conversion . Borrowed histories
Gender play . Translation

The paper that in the opinion of our editorial board best addresses the
theme will earn its author a cash prize of $250; the author of one
runner-up paper will receive $100.

All submissions should abide by The Chicago Manual of Style (15th
edition) guidelines for the writing of research papers.  For further
guidelines and more information, please visit www.hortulus.net.

Papers should be sent electronically to [log in to unmask]  All
submissions due October 15, 2005.