I ran down to the oxbows just south of Saint Joseph this morning to see if the cool front might have brought in some new birds. I think the front moved most of the birds I have been seeing further south and did not bring any very many (if any) new birds!

I had nine species of shorebirds, but only in single digit numbers.
Semipalmated Plover at Muskrat Lake (2 adult, 1 juvenile)
Yes, Killdeer about thirty at Lake Contrary and Muskrat Lake.
Greater Yellowlegs (2) Muskrat Lake
Willet (1) Muskrat Lake, "Don't know why you missed it Bob!"
Spotted Sandpiper (2) Lake Contrary
Sanderling (2) Lake Contrary
Semipalmated Sandpiper (2) Lake Contrary
Least Sandpiper only a couple at each location
Pectoral Sandpiper (2) Muskrat Lake
Two Ring-billed Gulls at Lake Contrary, one adult and one first winter bird.
Only one Forster's Tern at Lake Contrary.
Black Tern (15 at Lake Contrary and 10 at Muskrat Lake)

Had about ten Orchard Orioles, but no Baltimores.
Only sparrows I got were Lark (5), Chipping (5) and one Song Sparrow. I don't know if the Grasshopper Sparrow have pulled out or were "hiding" in the taller grass at Muskrat Lake.
Two juvenile Cedar Waxwings at Lake Contrary.

Larry Lade
Buchanan County
Saint Joseph, MO

Yahoo! Mail