Birds of note:  Ruddy Turnstone, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Sanderling, Stilt Sandpiper, Caspian Tern, Osprey

In the rain, we began by checking the impoundment from the hiking/biking path overlooking Little Creve Coeur marsh in St Louis County near the junction of Hwy 364 and the Maryland Heights Expressway.  We were rewarded by three Ruddy Turnstones, a dowitcher, a few Pectoral Sandpipers, a Green Heron flyover.

Several in the group had not caught up with a Buff-breasted, so we headed for the 79 corridor.  One shining individual remained along with hordes of Killdeer, a few more pectorals and two dowitcher species.  Margie Richardson spotted a possible Upland, but he disappeared and did not resurface.

At Winfield lock and dam, the sun was shining and the humidity had taken a nosedive.  It was a perfect lunch spot in the shade of the trees with a pleasant breeze enhanced by numerous shorebirds including 3 Semi-palmated Plovers, Sanderling, and Stilt Sandpipers one with a full set of bars on the flanks.  No ibises appeared to complete the picture.

Dick Coles continued on to BK Leach and Clarence Cannon; two cars returned to Des Peres Park; and we found peaches from Campbell MO at Tim's Bait Shop/Katherine's Curiosity Shop along 79 at Winfield.  We had been headed for Riverlands and continued on.  Sedge wrens were singing all along Riverlands Way, and we finally found one sitting up in the tall grasses.  Rose Ann saw a Caspian Tern putting on quite a flight/fishing demonstration.  Our day was completed by a single migrating Osprey spiraling up from directly overhead.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County