Hi Gerald,

Thanks for the information...

I am confused by the following information you provided:

The big difference between the FRS and GMRS use is the amount of power that
you use and the use of GMRS channels.  FRS is limited to 1/2 watt and does
not require a permit, using channel 1 through 14.  If you use a GMRS capable
radio at the 1/2 watt power setting on the FRS channels you will not need a
permit to use it.  If you use a GMRS capable unit at more than the 1/2 watt
power setting or on an exclusive GMRS channel, a permit is required for it's
use.  Some GMRS radios can be set for the power output, others can not be
adjusted.

Channel 1-7 can be used by FRS radios at 1/2 watt or by GMRS radios at any
power setting up to 5 watts maximum.  Other channels are restricted to 1/2
watt or are used exclusively by more than 1/2 watt.   The old ABA channel
11 recommendation has a restriction of 1/2 watt for it's use.

**My confusion is: "Channel 1-7 can be used by FRS radios at 1/2 watt or by
GMRS radios at any power setting up to 5 watts maximum." My radios do not
let you control the power used on Channels 1-7. If I use 1-7, I will be
transmitting at 1 watt. I have been unable to locate any information that
says I can transmit at 1 watt WITHOUT the permit.

I am not trying to argue a point. I would simply like to see the information
that says I can transmit on Channels 1-7 using a GMRS WITHOUT a permit.

Thanks again,

Patrick