From: MO Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Edge Wade
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 1:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Slang, Rail, Vehicles, Adventure Birding

I've just returned from a 10-day jaunt to Arizona and New Mexico.  The
cruise through the Mobirds messages for that period is interesting and
enlightening.

1.  The Birdslang thread brought many grins--both for content and for the
pleasure of seeing some poster names not often seen sharing their
thoughts/experiences with us.

2.  The Black Rail--wow! A Missouri Black Rail!  Doug--now you can have the
reputation of being a "lucky birder"--a designation I've been hit with by
folks who aren't familiar with the research, study, and time in the field
that leads to success--some anticipated and some serendipitous.  Congrats!

3.  Birding afield and birding vehicles.  Yes, there are times when I feel a
bit guilty going alone to a birding site, whether it is 10 miles or 500
miles from home.  I do that less frequently now.  Ride sharing has always
been a major feature of my birding experience, both as a passenger and as
driver.

I commend all the people who have put their money where their mouth is and
have bought a hybrid vehicle.  Perhaps someday I will do that.
However, my birding is not limited to urban parks and flat, nearby refuges.
The recently completed Arizona/Ne Mexico trip for example:

1.  Four people with luggage and gear (birding books, two spotting scopes
and tripods, a small cooler, a medium dry food box, cold weather clothing,
rain gear, etc.) required a rather substantial space beyond the sitting
space for four people.

2.  3,400 miles.  It could be argued that we should not have gone so
far--why not just bird the park down the street?  Or sit in front of the
computer?  Or sit on the couch and watch Wild Kingdom reruns? (Without the
air conditioner running, of course).

Indeed, our decisions of how to use resources have consequences.  What are
the consequences of no one venturing afield?  Knowledge is not furthered in
a vacuum.

3.  Terrain.  We went to the top of the Chiricahua Mountains (8,000+
feet) on a rock road.  We went up Miller and Carr Canyons in the Huachucas
(again above 8,000 feet) on rock/dirt roads with water diversion humps.  We
drove dirt roads in north central New Mexico in the Jemez Mountains.  We
traversed low water crossings (in the monsoon season).

There were numerous instances in which a low sedan would not have been
practical.

So, why do it at all?

Well... for starters, there were the Red-faced Warblers, the Band-tailed
Pigeons, the Olive Warblers, the Arizona Woodpeckers, the Lucifer
Hummingbird, the White-faced Hummingbirds, the Buff-breasted Flycatcher, the
Sulfur-bellied Flycatchers, the Greater Pewees, the Black-capped
Gnatcatchers, the Northern Beardless Tyrannulet, the Mexican Chickadees, the
Yellow-eyed Juncos, the Grace's and Virginia's Warblers, the Hermit and
Townsend's Warblers, the Hutton's Vireos, the Black Swifts, the Blue Grouse,
the Townsend's Solitaire and the Clark's Nutcracker;

there was the companionship, a wonderful package of sharing of a common
interest, of anticipation, of rehashing the search and the finding and the
joy of seeing and hearing, of sharing the senses of sight and smell (yup, we
hugged and sniffed those marvelous ponderosa pines!); the laughter at and
with one another at our individual and shared foibles;

there was the content and reaffirmation of seeing places again, of once more
experiencing the grandeur of our country, with the beauty of pastel desert
mountains, the instinctive fear reaction on hearing and seeing the awesome
power of a mountain creek flash flood, the joy of the examination of the
delicate high elevation flowers, the sense of well-being that comes with the
scent of sage; the treat to the eyes of the green on the red and yellow
rocks of Cave Creek, the adventure of seeking out new places and the reward
of finding them even more beautiful than we had imagined.

Sure beats sitting in front of this monitor.

I thank ASM for providing this listserve as a medium for sharing our
thoughts and adventures.

Two final thoughts:

1.  If you are a Missourian reading this and do not support the service that
brings this message, the Missouri Bird Alert, daily sighting information,
etc., to your screen FREE, consider joining ASM and helping support MOBIRDS
as an appropriate response of thanks for what you have reaped.

2.  Come to the fall ASM meeting and put faces to the names of folks you
agree and disagree with.  You will enjoy some good birding, some fine
companionship and some great food.  Bet you could find someone to share the
ride, too.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO