It has rained all day here in Columbia - lovely, glorious, rain that we have
long awaited --- but alas by 3:00p, I was bored to tears.

Susan Hazelwood and I decided to check out a few local haunts.  We thought
Bradford Farms might be a good place for shorebird fallout from a night of
storms, but on the way over Susan took a detour to South R-2 Lake on
Roosevelt Road.  For some unknown reason, the field on the northwest side of
the lake had been plowed or something, leaving great mudflats that hosted a
Caspian Tern, many Pectoral Sandpipers, Semipalmated Plovers, Killdeer,
Least Sandpipers, Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs, and several Black Terns
cruising the lake.  While we were checking over the lake, three Willets flew
unto a small island in the lake. An unexpectedly productive detour!

Bradford had mudflats around the lake on the east end, but all the fields
still had crops so other mudflats were limited.

It was still raining and we decided to head down to Eagle Bluffs.  The water
in the distribution channel is now high and most of those mudflats are gone.
We did see many Black Terns, and a fly over of two Caspian Terns.  We then
headed to Pool 2 thinking mudflats might still be there - there were many
Great Egrets and some shorebirds; and unfortunately for us, a back tire
going rapidly flat.  Ever the prepared Girl Scout, Susan had this
handy-dandy little portable compressor which allowed us to limp back to
Columbia - with me hanging out the passenger side door at every stoplight to
see if we needed to "pump 'er up" again.  It loses some in the translation
here, but actually was quite comical.
Jean Leonatti
Boone County, Columbia, MO